RE: HELP: 2" clearance around masonry fireplace

Brick Institute of America Technical Note 19B says "Considering all the
building code dimensional requirements, the minimum wall thickness of a
lined chimney to be used as a structural component is 10 inches, consisting
of: 1) 4 inch chimney wall (brick), 2) 2 inch of noncombustible material
(brick), and 3) 4 inch bearing length (brick).  An unlined chimney's minimum
wall thickness is 14 inches consisting of the same elements as the lined
chimney except that the chimney wall must be 8 inches."

But that is just there opinion.   The inspector may not agree.
Roger Davis
SDS Architects, Inc
205 N. Dewey Street
Eau Claire, WI 54703