Re: HELP: 2" clearance around masonry fireplace

The inspector is correct on this issue.  You are required to design the
supporting members around the Chimney for fear of wood Charding over the
years.  Note, the effect of the heat from the chimney is there and might
take some years to cause the wood to dry and become chard and then cause
fire to occur.

Good luck,