RE: HELP: 2" clearance around masonry fireplace

The  clearance is a code requirement. Have ran into that before, it is a
CABO requirement.  You must have at least 2" clearance from combustible
material.  This is for insulation for ignition.  A large masonry/stone
exterior of the flue may negate the 2" but it will vary upon the code
official.

Tim France, PE