Re: HELP: 2" clearance around masonry fireplace

Dennis,
	For future reference we typically use a channel to bolt to the side of
the chimney.  You can easily find them with flanges in excess of the
required 2".  You can use them to attach a nailer, or simply lay them
flat with the web up and use it as a seat.  Satisfies the code, but
provides a thermal bridge.  Use at your discretion.  I have never been
questioned about it though (See E.I.T. below :) )

Jake Watson, E.I.T.
Salt Lake City, UT