Re: Moment connection

If you want a direct answer without a lot of background information, here it is:

The Reduced Beam Section moment connection is the I am encouraging everyone to use in our office.

A PDF (you need Acrobat Reader to open it) file of a recent Steel Tips is available on the AISC web site. I include for your convenience:

                Aug. '99: Design of Reduced Beam Section (RBS) Moment Frame Connections
                by Kevin S. Moore, James O. Malley, Michael D. Engelhardt (2.82MB PDF)

                http://www.aisc.org/documents/aug_99.pdf

Good Luck.

Constantine Shuhaibar, PhD, PE
Project Engineer
SOHA Engineers
550 Kearny Street, Suite 200
San Francisco, CA 94108
T: (415)989-9900
F: (415)989-9909
E: csh(--nospam--at)soha.com

>>> "Javier Encinas" <jencinas(--nospam--at)coqui.net> 05/24/00 07:12AM >>>
After Northridge, the battle horse connection consisting of beam web bolted and beam flanges welded to the column has been discouraged. Nevertheless the codes are at least silent regarding alternative moment connection details. Even when there's a site specifically designed to cover these issues (http://eerc.berkeley.edu:8080), the amount of technical information provided about test results makes this site a little hard to follow. Does anybody know a good reference for alternative moment connection details after-Northridge?

Javier Encinas