NASCAR Pedestrian Bridge Collapse

Perhaps I have missed something this week, but I have not seen any posts on
the pedestrian bridge collapse at Lowe's Motor Speedway in North Carolina
last weekend.  In checking websites such as CNN, ABC, and the Charlotte
Observer, I have viewed a lot of photos and have read several news reports,
but they don't make a lot of sense to me.  As I understand it, the bridge
was constructed in 1995 with precast/prestressed concrete (probably
double-tees).  The span that failed was about 80 feet long, and carried
about 10-15% of its design live load at the time of failure.  Failure
consisted of an abrupt rupture at mid-span, dumping about 100 people on top
of each other.  State inspectors were quoted as saying that the steel
tendons failed, and appeared to be heavily rusted.  Heavy corrosion after
only five years?

Does anyone have any "inside" knowledge regarding this bridge, and its
collapse?

Thanks in advance,

Stan R. Caldwell, P.E.
Dallas, Texas (a.k.a., Hockey Heaven)
"where two Stanley Cups are better than one"