From: Polhemus, Bill [mailto:wlpolhemus(--nospam--at)sbinfra.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 24, 2000 2:00 PM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: RE: NASCAR Pedestrian Bridge Collapse

The rumor is that preliminary investigations show a pervasive infusion of
beer beginning with the top chord and seeping down throught the flange,
weakening (or rather, "drunkening") the concrete strength, and also making
the reinforcing steel "act funny". (Lends new meaning to the oft-seen
direction on drawings to "stagger bars").

Proposals are in process to recommend that beer-resistant concrete
admixtures be applied in future such structures.