Question on "Seismic Zone Factor" (Z) in UBC

This is a questions regarding seismic design under the Uniform Building Code.

It is my understanding that the magnitude of the seismic zone factor (Z) in the UBC is equal to a fraction of the acceleration due to gravity (9.81m/s^2).  As a practicing Canadian engineer in Edmonton, Alberta, I am not really familiar with UBC and would appreciate feedback from someone who is familiar with this code.

Please confirm that the relationship between design ground acceleration (in m/s^2) and "Z" is simply the design ground acceleration divided by 9.81m/s^2.

Thank-you.

Wayne Stewart, E.I.T.
Walters Chambers and Associates Ltd.
Structural Engineering Consultants