comm#780--mystery beams

David Handy wrote:

Does have any information about steel beams with the following dimensions?
9 1/4" dp x 4" x 3/8" thk flange (likely with sloped flanges)
9" dp x 4 3/8 x 1/4" thk. flange
I have no info on anything with 9" depth. They are not channels back to
back.
Age 1930-1950 approx. They are stringers on a pony truss bridge. They exist
on 3 different bridges so I know my guys did not measure them incorrectly.
Thanks

David Handy, P.Eng
Ontario, Canada

David-

I assume you have checked in AISC's Historical Record of Rolled Shapes.  It
lists a few alternatives for the 9 inch shape.  The 9 1/4 inch beam remains
a mystery.  Every once in a while, you run into beams like this for which
there is no information.  For some reason, they usually are found on old
bridges.  About all you can do is measure it carefully and perhaps take a
coupon to check the material.  I found some 26 inch S shapes on a bridge
once; after I realized there should be no such thing, I went back and
remeasured them just to make sure I wasn't losing it.  I wasn't, at least
not based on that.

By the way, doesn't anybody else's Computer Lords make them put commission
numbers on everything they send out?

Michael Hemstad, P.E.
  phone: 651/292-4468
  fax: 651/292-0083
  e-mail: hemstad.ml(--nospam--at)tkda.com
Toltz, King, Duvall, Anderson & Assoc., Inc
1500 Piper Jaffray Plaza
444 Cedar Street
Saint Paul, Minnesota 55101-2140