From: Jake Watson [mailto:jwatson(--nospam--at)inconnect.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 25, 2000 8:36 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Question on "Seismic Zone Factor" (Z) in UBC

	What version of the UBC are you using?  The "Z" is antiquated and
merely in the new codes for reference.  Correct me if I am wrong (I am
way out on a limb in my knowledge) but in the 94 UBC things changed and
"Z" was no longer used in the base shear calc.  The current ('97) base
shear calc is V=(Cv*I)/(R*T).  If you divide V by "g" then you will have
the design acceleration.

Hope this helps
Jake Watson, E.I.T.
Salt Lake City, UT