RE: Note from Dennis Wish - resignation from SEA and List

Good luck, Dennis.

As you know, I have already taken similar steps. This is the first year in
20 I have not renewed my dues to SEAOC. IMO, while attempting to promote the
profession, it has forgotten about the professionals and I am convinced, by
evidence of the 1997 UBC, the Seismic Design Manual - Volume 1 and
particularly the seminar presented on February 21, 1998 titled "1997 Uniform
Building Code (UBC) Wood Provisions", that things are getting worse, not
better. Apparently the organization or at least those who are taking the
role of writing the Code feel that a higher volume and more complex
calculations will produce a safer structure rather than spending the time on
detailing a load path from roof to foundation or performing jobsite
observations. It appears to me that there are too many egotistical
primadonnas out there more interested in proving that they are smarter than
everyone else rather than make a code that is straightforward and gets the
job done (i.e., provides a guideline for safe and economical structures).

Fortunately, the legacy you are leaving behind, as well as the efforts of
Shafat Qazi, et. al. provides a forum for us "regular folks" to discuss the
idiocy of the Code and try to make some sense of it. You effort is most
appreciated and will be missed. Hopefully, the time you save will not put
you in another tax bracket :o).

Via con dios, amigo.

Bill Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)
ALLEN DESIGNS