RE: Question on "Seismic Zone Factor" (Z) in UBC

Wayne,

The Z factor as used in the UBC is the seismic zone factor.  It is used as a
means to determine the "Seismic Coefficients" Ca and Cv (Re: 1997 UBC, Table
16Q and 16-R).  It is expressed as a fraction of gravity.  If you would like
a more in depth discussion of Z, reference Recommended Lateral Force
Requirements and Commentary, (AKA the Blue Book) by SEAOC.

Be careful not to use the Z factor as an indication of predicted earthquake
ground accelerations.

Regards,
Harold Sprague