RE: Question on "Seismic Zone Factor" (Z) in UBC

Z is still used in the 1997 UBC. See table 16-I and Equation 30-7.

But I believe it is too elementary to consider Z as merely the ground
acceleration although it appears that way. Possibly a closer evaluation
would be Z modified by near source factors.

Regards,

Bill Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)
ALLEN DESIGNS
Laguna Niguel, CA