From: seaint-return(--nospam--at)seaint.org [mailto:seaint-return(--nospam--at)seaint.org]
Sent: Wednesday, May 24, 2000 11:46 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Question on "Seismic Zone Factor" (Z) in UBC

This is a questions regarding seismic design under the Uniform Building
Code.

It is my understanding that the magnitude of the seismic zone factor (Z) in
the UBC is equal to a fraction of the acceleration due to gravity
(9.81m/s^2).  As a practicing Canadian engineer in Edmonton, Alberta, I am
not really familiar with UBC and would appreciate feedback from someone who
is familiar with this code.

Please confirm that the relationship between design ground acceleration (in
m/s^2) and "Z" is simply the design ground acceleration divided by
9.81m/s^2.