From:   seaint-return(--nospam--at)seaint.org [SMTP:seaint-return(--nospam--at)seaint.org]
Sent:   Thursday, May 25, 2000 11:30 AM
To:     seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject:        RE: Question on "Seismic Zone Factor" (Z) in UBC

Bill, Todd, and Jake:

Thanks for responding to my cry for help.  I too think that Z (seismic zone
factor) itself may not exactly be the ground acceleration divided by g
(9.81m/s^2).  Although the code seems to read this way, it does not
explicitly say this.

Regardless of the true definition or meaning of Z, my real problem is how to
properly do a seismic design when all the information I have about the site
is a design ground acceleration.  The UBC uses "zones" which must have
definable ground acceration limits.  What I really want to find out is what
these accel limits are for the various zones (1, 2A, 2B, 3, and 4).  Once I
can place the design ground accel into a zone then the rest falls into
place.  It's this first step that I have no knowledge of.