Re: Question on "Seismic Zone Factor" (Z

Jake,

Everything about seismic zoning is fictitious!

At first, when there was no Seismic Zone 4, and SEAOC proposals were only for
California, there was no Z factor.  Because the UBC covered other states, it
included a Z factor with Seismic Zone 3 (the highest) being 1, compatible
with SEAOC's California recommendations.

When a Seismic Zone 4 was included, Z for that zone was 1; for Zone 3, Z =
3/4; for Zone 2, Z = 3/8; for Zone 1, Z = 3/16, and other factors adjusted
accordingly so that the answers came out the same, but the arithmetic became
more complicated.

Then, someone suggested that Z reflect the seismic zone so that it would be
easier to remember, so for Zone 4, Z = .4; Zone 3, Z = .3; Zone 2B, Z = .2;
Zone 2A, Z = .15; Zone 1, Z = .1, and all the other factors adjusted so that
the answers came out the same as previously.

Then, it was determined that Seismic Zones should begin where the USGS maps
showed those accelerations comparable to Z to begin, forgetting that the
USGS maps reflected accelerations of only 25 percent of what their research
showed would occur.  In response to criticisms from SEAOC, USGS brought out
maps that showed the actual accelerations that would occur in California Zone
4 country were actually 3.9g, not .4g.  The published reason that USGS gave
for dividing the actual accelerations by 4 was that California Engineers were
experienced in designing for earthquakes and used ductility to accommodate
the difference.  (Politics also has an effect on the USGS maps, believe it or
not!)

Hope this helps.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Jake Watson wrote:

>>        What version of the UBC are you using?  The "Z" is antiquated and
merely in the new codes for reference.  Correct me if I am wrong (I am
way out on a limb in my knowledge) but in the 94 UBC things changed and
"Z" was no longer used in the base shear calc.  The current ('97) base
shear calc is V=(Cv*I)/(R*T).  If you divide V by "g" then you will have
the design acceleration.

Hope this helps
Jake Watson, E.I.T.
Salt Lake City, UT