Reinforcing

Here's one that should perhaps have Canadian engineers questioning.  Maybe the list in general can educate me.

In the concrete standard CSA A23.3-94 under Clause 1.3 "Reference Publications" we have the following.

CAN/CSA-G30.18-M92: Billet-Steel for Concrete Reinforcing

My understanding is that "billet-steel" is steel made from re-cycled steel products and that the composition is such that the steel is relatively brittle and also not weldable.  If that is the case why do we accept this as is the steel to use for Limit States Design with respect to getting plastic deformations or ductilities that allow the assumptions attached to the attainment of fy?  Why don't we use "weldable steels" that are more malleable for reinforcing bars?

Thor A Tandy P.Eng, MCSCE
Victoria BC
Canada
e-mail: vicpeng(--nospam--at)vtcg.com