Re: Magnified Moments - UBC Section 1910.13

In a message dated 5/25/2000 8:04:11 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
mtv(--nospam--at)skilling.com writes:

<< I don't follow the part about magnifying "the moments due to the
 lateral loads to 2 or 2.5 times".

Mike:

I was initially confused by equations (10-18) and (10-19) where the value of
Delta-sub-s times M-sub-s is equal to or greater than M-sub-s, say (1 to 1.5
times). I confused Ms with Mns in equation 10-17 which lead me to think I
will be adding Ms, instead of Mns, to (1 to 1.5)Ms, hence the 2 to 2.5 times
the moment due to lateral load. However, I am still not clear on all those
M's with subscripts. Is Mns the moment due to gravity, for instance, and is
Ms the moment due to lateral loads, when magnified and added to Mns per 10-16
or 10-17 we get M1 or M2?

As you mentioned, I was looking at section 1910.11.4.2 as my exit from the
Sway Frame requirements. I haven't checked the numbers yet, but I'm sure I'll
pass the test.

Thanks Mike

Oshin Tosounian, S.E.