Re: UBC '97 Sec 1633.2.4 Deformation compatibility - Question #3

An important area for consideration of the story drift and distinguishing this
from the shear deformation is in building with infills. The amount of
degradation and crushing of an infill is related directly to relative
deformation. The story drift typically contains three components; shear
deformation, flexural deformation and rigid body rotation. The rigid body
rotation componenet does not distort the frame or the infill and should be
extracted out of the total story to story deformation to estimate the level of
stresses in the infill. I have used SAP2000 for analyses of frames with infill
and I used the "relative distortion" rather than relative drift in evaluating
the performance of the infill and the frames.