Re: Dennis Wish's contributions

At 11:33 AM 05/26/2000 -0500, you wrote:

>>Adm Rickover concluded several points with, "A common thread moves through
>>all the principles I have discussed: It is the desire to improve oneself and
>>one's surroundings by actively participating in life.  Too many succumb to
>>the emotional preference of the comfortable solution instead of the
>>difficult one.  It is easy to do nothing."
>>
>>It is clear which of these courses Dennis has taken.

>This sounds a little like a cheap shot. Based an a similar experience of
>my own, I think Dennis' decision came out of the realization that his
>time and energy, both finite, were better directed elsewhere. We all
>claim to admire people who dream the impossible dream and fight the
>invincible foe, but that's not how we invest or raise our kids. And we
>don't often tell someone how much we admire their particular exercise in
>futility.
>Christopher Wright P.E

        It would indeed sound like a cheap shot, unless taken in the context
of the whole message. Recognition of Dennis's outreach practices comporting
remarkably well with Adm Rickover's favored ways was my theme. I had a
personal reply from Dennis, and he was by no means offended.

        I like your contributions a great deal as well, including your
additional insights about the admiral.

        LCDR Rickover, passed-over for command of a submarine in the 1930's,
and effectively rejected from the submarine service, soon opted to become an
Engineering Duty Only officer, thereby causing his immediate relief as
skipper of a fleet tug in Phillipine waters. He first advocated attempting,
and then successfully directed, rehabilitation in situ of the main
propulsion  generators and motors of the sunken and raised USS California at
Pearl Harbor in early 1942, when others thought it not feasible.

        Gen Patton noted that success is not measured so much by where you
are when on top, but by how you bounce up off the bottom. Rickover brought
both himself and the battleship back from the bottom.

Charles O. Greenlaw