Re: seaint Digest for 26 May 2000

> From: dan914(--nospam--at)ulster.net
> To: "seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org" <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
> Subject: Snow drift calculation IAW ASCE 7-98
>
> I am trying to go through the snow drift calculation in ASCE 7-98 for a
> simple valley created by two intersecting roofs.  It is my opinion that
> the amount of snow will be tapered to the low end of the roof.   There
> does not appear to be a way to account for this however.  I would
> appreciate any help on this matter.

By rational analysis or educated guess ;-) , determine the volume
(depth) of snow that will accumulate and multiply by the density. Be
conservative and always bear in mind that the snow must come from
somewhere, which provides your upper bound (e.g. you can't have an
accumulation if the volume doesn't fall or there isn't enough in the
contributing areas).

--
Paul Ransom, P. Eng.
Civil/Structural/Project/International