Sent: Saturday, May 27, 2000 10:33 AM
Subject: Re: Will my engineering career be like this?

John Flower wrote:

> I am a relatively young engineer working in a very small structural design
>
> Sincerely,
>
> John Flower

It will be because this is what we have allowed our profession to be
turned into.  From what I can tell, it is not like this in many other
countries.  Engineers are treated as professionals.

If you were to say: "I am a professional.  Please treat me as such.
Your project, response, shop drawings... won't be ready for ?? days
because at 5:00 P.M., I go home to have dinner with my family, and the
weekends are for house work, family, church, R&R... you would get
laughed at.  You wouldn't only loose a little bit of over time money,
you would flat out loose clients.  These clients would move on to the
next engineer that lets these clients push engineers around at their
will.

The problem will continue as long as we do not stand up collectively and
tell our clients they are to treat us as professionals as engineers have
done in other countries and as other professions have done in this
country.

Jeff Coronado, S.E.
West Covina, CA