Re: Will my engineering career be like this?

Having not "read the mail" for a few days, I find it interesting seeing John
Flower's "Will my career by like this?" at the same time as the thread on
Dennis Wish's departure from the e-waves.

John - Your concerns indicate that you CARE, and thus pass the hurdle over
which most technicians (as opposed to engineers) never do.  Welcome to the
profession.  As you start a family and raise children, you will discover
many parallels between their education/discipline, and how to deal with
architects, contractors, &etc.  None are exactly the same, and the demands
are continual...as are the awards.

To have more fun, always broaden your project delivery capability.  There is
no reason for an architect to lead the design/development team, other than
if you let them.  Learn how to deliver a complete project - finance,
permitting, marketing (i.e. - what features your client's customers want)
and then move in those circles as well as structural engineering.  You will
get your way more often when you write the checks.

Dennis - Hopefully you are lurking, but also making good use of a
rejuvenation period before returning to these pages.  I too have expended
extreme energy in a public advocacy role, only to see the "public" and its
"leaders" controvert the issues and act contrary to their own interests (as
I saw them).  So did Galileo - you're in good company.  So rest up, come-on
back and remember:  Everthing in moderation, including moderation.

Larry Oeth, PE