Re: Time-dependent lateral pressure on formwork

Mr Vicpeng,

I am glad to have the same idea with you. I am studying the effect of composite structure of steel and concrete. And the time-dependent pressure is important for the structure. The question has  puzzled me  for a long period. Could you kindly recommend me with some references? Even basic expriemental data or prelim reports are useful for me.

Accoring to a paper,  lateral  pressure on formwork will reduce to 1/4  of  initial one. But it is written in Chinese and not detail enough to draw conclusion.

Best regards,

Gu Jianzhong

Graduate student of Civil Engineering Dept.

B9810091,Shanghai Jiao Tong Uinversity

Shanghai ,P.R.China

Email: jz_gu(--nospam--at)263.net

>If the concrete has hardened enough to remove the lateral pressure how do you avoid a cold joint, on a repeat pass, without serious vibration of the "set" surface, interfering with that set, and re-introducing lateral pressures?  How about designing for the full height and then run the pour, full height, with a running "active" face along the length of the wall.  I am always uncomfortable with repeat passes especially if I have no control on the length of time between passes.

>If the wall is so high that repeat passes are necessary, shouldn't there be allowance for a proper construction joint between lifts?

>Thor A Tandy P.Eng, MCSCE

>Victoria BC

>Canada

>e-mail: vicpeng(--nospam--at)vtcg.com