Foundation Design Concern / Thoughts

I have been wondering about the applicability of the old Mc/I formula in
determining the flexural soil stresses beneath long wall footings. While
this formula is being universally used for isolated and somewhat longer
rectangular footings do you think its applicability is unlimited? (Assuming
the load is still within the kern distance). I feel like since the wall
footings generally support a rigid shear wall that this may not be a useful
way to find the flexural stresses. Also has anyone tried an "I" or "C" shape
wall footing in the situations where intersecting end walls are being
considered as part of shear wall rigidities? Is there any clean formula to
determine flexural soil stresses or should I get my calculus book out again!

Ghassem Khosrownia
U.S. Army Corps
Sacramento, CA