RE: AutoCAD Section Property Calculation

The Moment of inertia for an AutoCAD region is usually calculated for an
axis at the base of the region if I am not mistaken.

-----Original Message-----
From: vicpeng [mailto:vicpeng(--nospam--at)vtcg.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 30, 2000 11:01 PM
To: SEAINT
Subject: Autocad Section Property Calculation

I have a feeling that this might have been posted before.

In AutoCAD under "massprop" the section properties such as area, perimeter,
centroid, Moment of Inertia etc are calculated.

I did a check on a complex section by hand and I found that AutoCAD produces
a different answer from mine for the Moment of Inertia.  The other values
appear correct but not "I".

Does anyone know if I did something wrong or what AutoCAD is doing?  This is
not my software so the licensee may have set up something in the program??

Thor A Tandy P.Eng
Victoria BC
Canada
e-mail: vicpeng(--nospam--at)vtcg.com <mailto:vicpeng(--nospam--at)vtcg.com>