RE: field welding inspection

I am not aware of any standard specifications which provide requirements for
"general" weld testing for structures. However, I have also been given
similar "rules of thumb" for weld inspection and testing on industrial
projects. I've specified magnetic particle testing of "1 foot of every 10 ft
of accumulated weld length" for fillet welds and of fillet welds at flanges;
and "radiographic or ultrasonic methods" for complete joint penetration
welds for moment connections and splices. It is essentially up to the EOR to
determine the desired extent of weld testing for confirmation of quality.
For special connections, any weld testing requirements should be shown on
the connection details.