Curved Stair

Where o where did I very recently see a reference for a computer program for
a helical curved beam cantilevered from the base?  It caught my attention
because a number of years ago, I was approached by a young man that wanted to
manufacture helical curved wood stairways and needed engineering on it.  The
stairs were beautiful (as was the model on the stairs) as highly finished
wood can be.

I will try to remember, and maybe this will jog someone else's memory.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Brad Friederichs wrote:

>>Help,

The stair is 6'-6" wide with outside radius of 13'-6" and inside radius
7'-0".  The stringers are made from C12 and the risers and treads are 12ga
closed system welded to the stringers.

The arc is 90 deg.

Are there design charts or tables that have already been prepared for stairs
of this type?  If not, are there shortcuts to design other than doing a
finite element anaylsis.

I'm doing the structural design.

Thank you for your assistance.

Brad Friederichs<<