Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: Calling out/specifying tubes

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
Title: RE: Calling out/specifying tubes

> For square and rectangular tubes, is it now recommended that they be
> specified as HSS or can TS still be used?

HSS is the proper designator for round and rectangular products produced to ASTM A500, A501, A618 and A847. It stands for hollow structural section. Note that these designators do not apply to steel pipe (ASTM A53). For more information on all of this, go to part 1 of the three-part materials feature here:

The shift from TS to HSS was introduced by the Steel Tube Institute (yes, I see the irony in their name) about five years ago and is still filtering its way through the various publications and references that exist.