RE: Calling out/specifying tubes

Charlie Carter wrote:

>>The shift from TS to HSS was introduced by the Steel Tube Institute (yes, I
see the irony in their name) about five years ago and is still filtering its
way through the various publications and references that exist.<<

I have frequently seen the designation for steel tubes (TS) with the letters
transposed (ST), which, of course, refers to an entirely different animal
so I can see why the steel tube institute might have wanted to change the
designation.  You would not get a steel tube with this designation unless the
fabricator questioned it.  (Of course, a ST 6 X 6 X 0.25 is a meaningless
designation.)

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona