Re: proper weld metal notes

>wouldn;t it be much simpler to state something like:
>
>"THE WELD FILLER METAL SHALL HAVE A MINIMUM YEILD POINT OF 60/70/80 KSI"
I'd say something like this only I'd require welding process approval by
engineering. and then make sure I knew that the process would provide
tough, ductile welds. You're depending on welding for structural
integrity, so you should have some oversight on the weld quality. And
typically you match the weld metal tensile strength to the base metal
tensile strength. 70XX filler metal for base metal tensile strength of
60-70 ksi.

Think carefully about testing welds. Typically fabricators whine and
bitch about costs when you specify anything but visual examination, but
my own opinion is that they're worried about possible rework when a
defect is found. But the knowledge that they're going to have to dig out
and fix defective welds helps keep corners from being cut.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw