RE: proper weld metal notes

Title: proper weld metal notes

> http://www.modernsteel.com/home.asp?iid=59&aid=181
> says  "...Weld metal with a tensile strength FEXX = 70 ksi is most common."
> i do not understand the designation FEXX.
> i do not want to call out an electrode designation for
> fear of being 'accused' of dictating a welding process.
> wouldn;t it be much simpler to state something like:

> "THE WELD FILLER METAL SHALL HAVE
> A MINIMUM YEILD POINT OF 60/70/80 KSI"

I have succeeded in confusing you. (-:  Fexx is the variable used in the AISC Specification to denote the strength level of the weld metal, not a process designator. Saying it the way you said it is more clear (and in plain English to boot!) with one exception: the strength rating of weld metal is based upon its tensile strength, not the yield point.

So if I had it to write over again, I'd say it this way: "Weld metal with a tensile strength of 70 ksi is most common."
Charlie

P.S. Thanks for your kind words about the series of articles, Dennis.