Re: proper weld metal notes

Dennis,

I have just made the same modification to the general notes that company
that I am at now.  Most companies around this are call for electrodes of
"E70XX".  I took the welding seminar done by Bob Shaw of SSTC (one of the
best seminars that I have ever participated in...especially since most
welding stuff, other that "this is the symbol for a fillet weld", is not
covered in most undergrad programs...at least not mine).  He emphasized
the same point that specifying an "E70XX" electrode is strictly speaking
also specifying the weld process.

One slight modification that you might want to make to your modified weld
specification statement is to include that the weld material should be
"low hydrogen".  That is another item that I picked up from that seminar.
I suppose that their might be welds that you might not want low hydrogen
filler material, but if my memory serves me still, then most welds should
be with low hydrogen filler.

I am sure that Bob Shaw (he participates on the list also) can provide
more info, if he so desires.

Scott Maxwell