RE: Calling out/specifying tubes

Title: RE: Calling out/specifying tubes

>I assume that if you specify an HSS then the "reduced" section properties
>as listed in the HSS manual should be used in design and will be supplied,
>correct?

Yes. HSS producers are good at ordering the plate from which they produce HSS near the theoretical under tolerance for thickness. Back in 1996, we attempted to revise the tolerance in ASTM A500 and similar documents to reduce the under tolerance, but the measure failed in the ASTM ballot process. To safeguard designs (especially in HSS-to-HSS connection calculations where the thickness term gets squared and cubed), we implemented a 7 percent reduction (wall thickness for design equals 0.93 times the nominal thickness) in the AISC HSS Specification and AISC HSS Connections Manual.

Charlie