RE: Increases in Foundation Bearing Pres

Brent Koch wrote:

>>Isn't the determination of the soils ability to properly support the
structure for presribed conditions of loading part of the scope of services
for which you are contracted? If, in the geotech. consultants opinion, a 1/3
increase of allowable bearing pressure unacceptably increases the probablity
of soil failure so as to reduce the factor of safety deemed appropriate for
a particular soil condition in response to a load state then the increase
should not be recommended. Personally, I have never read a soils report
which prohibited an increase.<<

Brent,

I agree wholeheartedly with what you have said and second it, however, and
bear in mind that I am not familiar with California geotech reports, I have
never read a geotech report here in Arizona that was clear and unequivical.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona