RE: UBC 1997 Special Inspections Zone 4

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next] 1. I am a structural engineer with a diploma in structural engineering. I live in and practice (designs) in the caribbean. I would like to know if I would be permited to practice in the us or europe with a diploma in engineering? 2. Is there any program available for continual studies that doesnot requires me to go back to college?

From: Charles Greenlaw <cgreenlaw(--nospam--at)speedlink.com>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: UBC 1997 Special Inspections Zone 4
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 20:37:58 -0700

For purposes of California P.E. practice, the legislature enacted a
specialized definition of "supervision of construction" into the P.E.Act
such that construction supervision and construction observation (and
"structural observation" in UBC) are essentially the same thing. (See Sec
6703.1 of the Act.) For legal purposes, the P.E.Act definition would
override meanings derived from conventional dictionary definitions of
"supervision", and would override any conflicting provisions in building
code, which being only an administrative regulation, is not permitted not be
inconsistent with statute.

I see a near miss but not quite a collision between Calif. statute and UBC
provisions on structural observation. The P.E.Act in effect says the
engineer responsible for the structural design does not have a
responsibility to do construction observation simply because of having done
the design. But the UBC places a burden on the project owner in certain
instances to employ the responsible design engineer to perform construction
observation, however the engineer can avoid this role by "designating"
another engineer (presumably a willing one) to be employed to do so.

None of this speaks to the considerable, mutual benefits that accrue when
the design engineer does perform the observation.

Ed Marshall, P.E., had correctly noted:

George Richards, P. E., wrote:

>Construction supervision and construction observation are two different
>things.  We do not supervise a project, but we do provide structural
>observation as required by title 24 of the Calif.. Admin. Code, which in
>turn is mandated by the Ca. Health and Safety Code.  We are out there
>professionally, not to inspect each and every element (in part the Special
>Inspectors job) but to the extent necessary to assure ourselves that the
>structure is in conformance with our design intent.

Except for the PE Act definition altering "supervision" from its ordinary
meaning, the above is right on the mark.

Charles O. Greenlaw, P.E.