Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: Structural Engineer - Diploma

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
When I called Washington State Licencing I found out that my New Zealand registration counts for more than my Canadian in terms of requisites for professional registration.  It would pay to review your university, and country status with respect to reciprocity and then contact the various states you are targeting for detailed requirements. Have them send the appropriate documentation to you.

Thor A Tandy P.Eng
Victoria BC
e-mail: vicpeng(--nospam--at)
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, June 04, 2000 6:30 AM
Subject: Re: Structural Engineer - Diploma

Desmond, the biggest problem you'll find in trying to practice in the States (which I think is what you're asking) is that many if
not most of the state licensing boards may not recognize an engineering degree from outside the U.S. or Canada. It's a point of
legality more than anything else.

Most foreign nationals that I know who've come to this country to work, go to grad school. The graduate schools will typically
recognize foreign degrees as prerequisites for admission. With a U.S. graduate school degree, you can get licensed here in the

As I understand it, most other nations outside the U.S., Canada and Europe, don't worry about licensing/registering engineers. A
degree is all you need. In fact one friend of mine from Colombia told me that he was able to go straight from college into private
practice, without even requiring a period of experience.

This is a major difference that you need to be aware of.

> 1. I am a structural engineer with a diploma in structural Engineering from
> a recognised university in the caribbean (UTECH).