From: James F Fulton [mailto:James_F_Fulton(--nospam--at)RohmHaas.Com]
Sent: Monday, June 05, 2000 2:13 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Web Openings in Structural Steel

Are there any special procedures that should be followed when cutting
circular openings in the webs ? I have an existing  W33x130 that will have a
8 inch diameter hole field burned.  The hole will be reinforced with a 3"
long piece of pipe that is to be snug fit in the hole and fillet welded to
the web on both sides. Does the cut surface have to be ground smooth for
example ? I'm using AISC Steel Design Guide #2 for design check.
Thanks for any comments.