Re: Exposure D Wind/Seismic Loads under IBC

--- Tom.Hunt(--nospam--at)d-fd.com wrote:
> Any wind guys or gals out there??
>
> I just noticed that the 2000 IBC specifically includes Exposure D
> wind
> category to the West Coast.  The 1997 UBC specifically excludes
> Exposure D
> for areas with basic wind speeds less than 80 mph (fastest mile)
> which
> includes central and southern California.  Does anyone know the
> background
> to this?  Looks like all structures 1500 feet from the Pacific Coast
> will
> need to be designed for higher wind loads.
>
> Thomas Hunt
> Duke/Fluor Daniel

While we're at it, I'm dealing with "build-for-expansion" difficulties
for a hospital in Little Rock.  The IBC with increase my forces 6 TIMES
over SBC.  (1.5 for hospital and 1.5 for lack of redundancy included).
What is this doing to people in other parts of the country, incl. CA?