Cut Plate Washers

Based on the 1997 UBC, we now have to specify 2" sq. x 3/16" cut plate
washers at anchorbolts for wood shear walls.

Does that mean that round washers are, all of a sudden, no good? Even if
same area, etc?

What about connecting a wood plate/nailer to the top of a CMU wall? I have a
3x nailer with anchorbolts dapped into them. Of course, the dap is created
by counterboring a hole which is round. Can I use a round washer for this
application?

TIA,

Bill Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)
ALLEN DESIGNS