RE: Transferring Anchor Bolt Forces to Concrete

Jim,

Design the vertical rebar adjacent to the anchor rod for the tensile loads.
If the bar is too big to bend, provide Lenton Terminators on the top end of
the rebar.

Design the anchor rod per Strength Design of Anchorage to Concrete, PCA for
the applied loads using a headed anchor rod.

Design the length of the anchor rod long enough to where the projected
failure cone intersects the rebar low enough to fully develop the vertical
rebar.

Provide sufficient confinement reinforcing to resist side-face blow out.

Don't even consider smooth bar bond.  It is too variable which is why the
last appearance of smooth bar was in ACI 318-63.  I have seen an iron worker
back out an unheaded anchor rod with a 4 ft embedment by hand with a spud
wrench.

Regards,
Harold Sprague