Re: Steel Yield Strength, A36 vs A 572

>RE: Steel Yield Strength, A36 vs A 572Does anyone know where I can access
>design data on screws into aluminum alloys?
Check the ASTM specs for the yield strengths--there are various grades of
A-572. The best place to go for screws into aluminum is the Aluminum
Association structural spec, available from the AA web site. It's very
comprehensive. You really should be very careful threding aluminum. It's
a lot softer than steel, and tapped holes are easy to strip. Threaded
inserts like helicoils are a good idea. Watch the clamping load if you're
using through bolts because the aluminum will crush and your pre-load
will go away.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw