Ref: Are You Up for It?!!

Not a defense of the existing system per se; rather a comment that there is no limitation on the size of these committees nor restrictions as to who can participate.  The problem, as I see it, is that the committee work is left to a very few--who must carry the ball for all.  As an 'outsider' I see things from a very different perspective and *hear* things that the membership may not--and what I'm seeing is that there is very little interest in joining the committees for whatever reasons real or imagined (such as the non-welcoming attitude from senior members--a definite misperception; or a newer member's disinclination to 'butt in' without invite).

Comparing the engineering association with the Papacy is likening apples to crab-apples (though it did provide an interesting historical side-light).  There is nothing wrong with a system based on mentoring and bringing folks up through the ranks--gives a much better understanding of the membership and the workings of the organization itself.  Those who may feel disenfranchised have possibly abrogated their pro-activism and lost sight of the long range good.

It appears to me that the *absolute power* of the existing committee structure is the fault of the membership as a whole for two reasons:

1)  They have been allowed to become small groups with a lot of power.  If the membership on those committees were to suddenly grow to 2 or 3 times their current size, the power of the leaders would be significantly diluted by the many additional voices--all being heard!

2)  The membership has allowed regionalization to dictate what is done--or more accurately what is not done.  The organizations in California (and elsewhere) need to work together toward a common goal.  The ability to *change the code* is abrogated when the committees at the state and national levels resort to regional conflict--"This works well in our region and to change it would modify the way we do business, so we will not allow it to change."  Working together is a give and take proposition and all regions have to participate with a willingness to compromise and work to the better good.

Surely you and others are not suggesting that you offered your time and expertise in code development at its beginnings and were turned down?

Sincerely,
Audra Ranous