RE: Clevis question in AISC manual

Title: RE: Clevis question in AISC manual

>On page 4-148 of the AISC steel manual (green ASD 9th Ed.) is a table of
>data for clevises.  Can someone explain what is meant by:
>Grip = thickness plate + 1/4"

1/4 in. is the allowance used to make sure you can get the clevis over the plate. When specifying a clevis, you specify the grip as the plate thickness plus 1/4 in. Going the other way, you'd have to contact a manufacturer to know what their standard grip is, if they have one. I suggest you contact Bud Parka of Cleveland City Forge (216/526-1600). He's been very helpful to me in the past.

Charlie