RE: Standards for Plan Detail

perhaps i can give a slightly different point of view on your situation.  i
was trained as a draftsman on autocad release 9. i worked full time on
autocad release 9 through autocad release 14.  i drafted at an architectural
firm for 4.5 years and at a structural engineering firm for 5 years.

>>>Our small firm has fairly recently moved our CAD work
>>>in-house.  In the past, we used a drafter who bid each job,
>>>and had a vested interest in keeping costs low.
>>>
>>>Now that we control the CAD, there seems to be a tendency
>>>among everyone in the office to heap on more and more
>>>detail.

in my opinion, more detail on the drawings means less phone calls.

  In addition, the drafter we hired is a
>>>perfectionist and likes to draw everything - even Simpson
>>>hangers - to exacting detail.

i used to do that also.  the "perfectionist" will actually help you in the
long run by catching small (and sometimes not so small) discrepancies in the
redmarks and design.  i feel that drawing components accurately is
important.  however, your draftsman should only be drawing components once
and then exploiting them through the use of blocks, xrefs, etc...

>>>The degree of detail and multitude of (duplicated) notes is
>>>expensive and can become, in my view, counter-productive.

detail is good to a point - duplicated notes are NEVER good.

>>>I'm in the process of developing some standards to define
>>>where to "draw the line".  And I'm looking for some
>>>references and/or guidelines to help us get it right the first time.
>>>
>>>Thanks in advance for any help.
>>>
>>>Ed Fasula E.I.T.

for the moment, i will assume that you are using autocad (however, these
comments should apply to any cad package that will allow custom
programming).
the key to fast, good looking drawings is through the use of autolisp
routines, visual basic, visual c++, etc...  once you get a method of setting
up the sheets and the details, you can automate the creation of drafting
symbols, building components, etc...  if your draftsman does not know how to
program, it would be worth your time and energy to find someone who can or
to invest in your current employee's education so that he learns it.  i have
completely turned around the drafting department in two companies through
the use of custom programming.  the dividends are exponential.  hope these
comments are helpful.

david adie