Approved end-jointed lumber

Hello all,

U.B.C. Section 2304.2 indicates that "approved end-jointed lumber may be
used interchangeably with solid-sawn members..." and I was curious as to
your opinions on these when used in shear walls. I have a copy of an article
from ASCE's "Practice Periodical on Structural Design & Construction" (Feb.
1997), which concluded that there isn't a whole lot of difference in
strength & stiffness between "solid-sawn" & "end-jointed" lumber used for
shear walls (using non-cyclic testing methods). I've also obtained some good
information from WWPA, USDA and others.

"Approved" members appear to be pretty good, but I wanted to query the list
to see if there may be even more information available on these members, as
well as opinions based on experience.

Thanks in advance,
Dave K. Adams, S.E.
Lane Engineers, Inc.