Re: Standards for Plan Detail

I generally try to keep in mind the following advice on how much detail to
show when I put together a set of drawings. The last sentence is the clincher.

    "Structural engineering (and architecture) is both a profession
    and a business. Work must be done at a profit yet in a complete
    and workmanlike manner. All important details must be shown,
    and no detail which cannot be inferred from the plans must be
    omitted; otherwise, the omission may result in an extra to be
    paid by the owner or often by the architect or engineer out of
    his own pocket. On the other hand, the draftsman seldom has the
    time, the inclination, or the budget to completely detail every
    nut and bolt. Drawings which are over-detailed have a reputation
    of calling for higher bids. The designer should always keep in
    mind that parts of the structure will be shop detailed, as for
    example, the structural steel. These sections do not need to be
    as complete as other sections where shop details will not be made.
    The designer must at all times know what the construction practice
    is in his community in regard to the proper amount of detailing.
    In some localities the contractors may expect more plans than in
    others."

    "Actually, construction drawings have two functions: (1) to enable
    the contractor and his subcontractors to prepare a bid, and (2) to
    construct the building. All plans should be checked for compliance
    with these functions. It is possible to prepare an apparently good
    set of plans which can be bid but not built, or which can be built
    but not bid."

This is an excerpt from "Handbook of Standard Structural Details", written
by my late father, Milo Ketchum.

Regards,
Mark Ketchum