RE: Standards for Plan Detail

After reading through the responses and thinking it over, the real tough issue, beyond efficiency considerations etc, is how much are you going to trust the contractor to figure-out independently?

I'm seeing that we can't afford to go much beyond the "average" standard of care, nor below for legal (and moral) reasons.  I would like to find a statement describing just where the engineer's responsibility ends and the contractor/supplier's begins.

It just seems like the fox guarding the hen house to have the contractor tell the engineer, either directly or through the bid process, how much information needs to be included on a set of plans.

Regards,

Ed Fasula E.I.T.