Re: Approved end-jointed lumber

A few weeks back there was a wood framing seminar sponsored by SEA of
Central Calif, at which there was an excellent presentation on
finger-jointed 2x4 and 2x6 studs in Canadian Spruce-Pine-Fir species. I
understood from this that there is no difference in performance because of
the finger jointing; one merely discounts the sheathing shear value due to
the less dense S-P-F species compared with DF and SYP, and accredited S-P-F
shear values are available in convenient tables.

At that seminar I asked Mr Rod Lee, the presenter from Ainsworth Lumber Co
Ltd in Vancouver BC, if there was any peculiar sensitivity in this
pre-seasoned stud material to splitting due to a heavy shear nailing
schedule, compared to familiar unseasoned DF studs. (I was anticipating a
tighter than usual nailing schedule due to the softer species, and wondered
if the dryness or species resulted in unusual splitting sensitivity.)

I have since received back some impressive technical info from Mr Lee, which
I have not finished absorbing, but so far it appears that there is no
peculiar vulnerability to nail-induced splitting in this finger-jointed stud
product.

They have a website, www.ainsworth.ca  and email: info(--nospam--at)ainsworth.ca   and I
suggest inquiring directly to Mr Lee there.

Charles O. Greenlaw SE  Sacramento CA  USA