Re: modeling composite beams in SAP2000

I have had a good success in using SAP2000 to model composite girders. In fact I verified the results by checking them against field measurements, and they are in very good agreement.

The key issue in modeling composite action is to constraint only pair of nodes with different labels, and not all concrete nodes to those of steel top flange with one lable. So it would be a bit tedious to define different constraint for every pair if you have too many nodes along the girder. The best way then is to go to *.s2k file and use a pre-processor program to compile constraint section of the input file.

Majid Sarraf

National Bridge Research Organization (NaBRO)
www.Nabro.unl.edu